Pages

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Silkies in the Garden... Part 1

This came from the magazine Backyard Poultry by Gail Damerow.

Many years ago when my huband and I came to our present farm we initially incorporated chickens into our garden. Eventuly we got tired of hanging roosters crow in the wee hours, and because we keep a sustainable flock (by hatching our own chicks), removing the roosters was not an option. So we moved the chickens to a distant barn.
                      Recently we have been renovating the garden and I got it into my head to keep chickens there again. But instead of moving our utility egg-and-meat flock back near the house, I wanted some just-for-fun bantams. I wanted a small breed that treads lightly on the kand and is not inclined to fly. I wanted a friendly, non-aggressive breed. I started with a long list of "my favorite bantams" and - through a long and tough process of elimination - eventually pared it down to Silkies. But which variety? In previous years I had white Silkies. Where I live now, white chickens dont stand much chance against eagles, hawks, and owls. After considering all the color options, as well as briefly contemplating the possibility of getting some each, I settled on black bearded Silkies. So Last spring I ordered a batch of chickes.

To be continued......
                 

No comments:

Post a Comment